Connexions Resource Centre
Focus on Work
Recent & Selected Articles
- This is a small sampling of articles related to education and children in the Connexions Online Library. For more articles, books, films, and other resources, check the Connexions Library Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Querying Young Chomsky (November 7, 2011)
Chomsky offers observations on what a desirable society might look like from the perspective of the heritage of libertarian socialist or anarcho-syndicalist or communist anarchist views.
- Connexions Archive Case Statement (September 24, 2011)
Working together to secure a future for the past
- Death in a New York Food Sweatshop (February 3, 2011)
For thousands of recent immigrants, the eastern section of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, is where you go to find work in food processing and distribution factories that service many of New York City's markets and restaurants. If you've ever eaten a meal in New York, you can be assured that you've consumed food that has been produced and distributed through one of these food companies and those in a few adjacent neighborhoods.
- Blasted in a West Virginia Mine (April 8, 2010)
Conditions in the mines are caused by capitalism. The 25 dead miners in the latest mine disaster in West Virginia are dead because union-busting and the disregard of safety precautions for the sake of speed-up and higher profits.
- Connexions Archive seeks a new home (November 18, 2009)
The Connexions Archive, a Toronto-based library dedicated to preserving the history of grassroots movements for social change, needs a new home.
- Fighting the Flexible Firm (2000)
The shift towards the short term is a result of changes within the operation of capitalism. Let us be clear about this: it is not about technology, it is not about innovation, it is about capitalism and how capitalism operates to achieve profit. Capital is now driven by short-term return. This results in organisations having to quickly change what they are doing and where they are going, and adjust their personnel accordingly.
- The Abolition of Work and Other Myths (1995)
- Working in an office -- for a while (May 1, 1978)
The first thing that strikes one about working in this particular office is how little actual work ever gets done.
- A Tale of Two Offices (July 1, 1977)
Daily life and offices politics viewed through the experience of working in two libraries with very different management styles.
Selected Websites and Organizations
- This is a small sampling of organizations and websites concerned with education and children in the Connexions Directory. For more organizations and websites, check the Connexions Directory Subject Index, especially under topics such as
Other Links & Resources
Books, Films and Periodicals
- This is a small sampling of books related to education and children in the
Connexions Online Library. For more books and other resources, check the Connexions Library
Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- First Contract
Women and the Fight to Unionize
Author: Conde, Carol, Beveridge, Karl
Looks at the "personal side" of the struggle of working women to organize themselves into unions and win first contracts.
- Getting There
Producing Photostories With Immigrant Women
Author: Barndt, Deborah, Cristall, Ferne, Marino, Dian
Photostories about immigrant women surviving in and adapting to a new culture.
- In Praise of Idleness
Author: Russell, Bertrand
More leisure, not work, will benefit civilization. Modern organization and technology makes a four hour work day possible for leisure to be distributed to everyone.
- Labor & Monopoly Capital
The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century, 25th Anniversary Edition
Author: Braverman, Harry
This widely acclaimed work, first published in 1974, overturned the reigning ideologies of academic sociology and became the standard text for many basic areas of sociological inquiry.
- 6 Floors to Hell
Author: Efrat, Johnathon Ben (Director)
On the outskirts of Tel Aviv, in an underground world, live hundreds of Palestinian workers sleep in this hell in order to find a day's work in Israel and bring money home to their families in the West Bank.
Author: Terkel, Studs
People talk a bout what they do all day and how they feel about what they do.
Learning from our History
Resources for Activists
The Connexions Calendar - An event calendar for activists.
Media Names & Numbers - A comprehensive directory of Canada's print and broadcast media. (CX5857).
Sources - A directory that enables journalists to find spokespersons of organizations. Organizations that list themselves in Sources signficantly increase their odds of getting called by reporters when they are doing a story of their issues..
Donate or Volunteer
Selected Resources by