Connexions Resource Centre
Focus on Transportation
Recent & Selected Articles
- This is a small sampling of articles related to education and children in the Connexions Online Library. For more articles, books, films, and other resources, check the Connexions Library Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Corporations Undermined Public Transportation (October 27, 2015)
Over the past eighteen months two of the world's largest automakers have been found responsible for deadly conspiracies. But, recent revelations cant compete with the industry's previous scandals.
- Time to Jail Auto Executives? (June 10, 2015)
Rather than allowing automobile industry debacles to float by without inspiring systemic change that will save lives, criminal prosecutions should become an integral part of -- even a priority for -- both federal and state governments.
- Porter's corporate interests can't be allowed to trump public health (November 21, 2013)
We are concerned that it will be the children who live, study and play less than 300 metres from the current airport in the high-rises, the Waterfront school, Little Norway Park, the daycare and community centre who will be most affected by the addition of jets. Consider that landings and takeoffs generate the highest emissions and that peak airport periods coincide with times children walk to and from school.
- Flags of Convenience (January 18, 2012)
Maritime lawlessness isnt confined to pirates. Thanks to a system of ship registration called flags of convenience, it is all too easy for unscrupulous ship owners to get away with criminal behaviour
- Connexions Archive Case Statement (September 24, 2011)
Working together to secure a future for the past
- Cars and Class (September 10, 2010)
Making life difficult for cars could be, in fact, described as a form of class war, but one that works in the long-term interests of the poor and working class.
- Connexions Archive seeks a new home (November 18, 2009)
The Connexions Archive, a Toronto-based library dedicated to preserving the history of grassroots movements for social change, needs a new home.
- The Los Angeles Bus Riders Union (July 1, 1997)
The Bus Riders Union began as an outgrowth of the Labor/Community Strategy Center's "Equity in Transportation Project," a policy analysis group which to study the transportation problems of the urban poor. What they discovered was an increasingly polarized allocation of public resources based on race.
- What's Wrong With Front Yard Parking? (April 15, 1994)
The negative effects of front yard parking are significant, and affect us all. The benefits are small, and go only to a few.
- Snake Oil in a Computer: The Pseudo-science of Transportation Modeling (August 16, 1991)
Planners, politicians, and other decision-makers want to know what effect their projects will have on the environment. In many cases they don't really want to know, but want to convince their constituents that the results will be beneficial, or at least neutral. In both cases, computer modeling is being used to "answer" the questions.
Selected Websites and Organizations
- This is a small sampling of organizations and websites concerned with education and children in the Connexions Directory. For more organizations and websites, check the Connexions Directory Subject Index, especially under topics such as
Other Links & Resources
Books, Films and Periodical
- This is a small sampling of books related to education and children in the
Connexions Online Library. For more books and other resources, check the Connexions Library
Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Keep the TTC public
Privatization of public transit around the world has been a disaster for taxpayers and riders. In this video, we learn of some of these disasters and why Toronto should avoid TTC public-private partnerships. Narrated by Canadian actor Eric Peterson.
- Reclaiming Our Cities & Towns
Better Living with Less Traffic
Author: Engwicht, David
Cars destroy the environment; people should embrace alternative modes of transportation like bycycling and walking to make urban areas safer and enviromentally sound.
- Stop Signs
Cars and Capitalism on the Road to Economic, Social and Ecological Decay
Author: Engler, Yves; Mugyenyi, Bianca
A global ecological critique of the American automobile addiction.
Learning from our History
Resources for Activists
The Connexions Calendar - An event calendar for activists.
Media Names & Numbers - A comprehensive directory of Canada's print and broadcast media. (CX5857).
Sources - A directory that enables journalists to find spokespersons of organizations. Organizations that list themselves in Sources signficantly increase their odds of getting called by reporters when they are doing a story of their issues..
Connect with Connexions
Newsletter Facebook Twitter