Connexions Resource Centre
Focus on Nature
Recent & Selected Articles
- This is a small sampling of articles related to education and children in the Connexions Online Library. For more articles, books, films, and other resources, check the Connexions Library Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Connexions Archive Case Statement (September 24, 2011)
Working together to secure a future for the past
- Indias Vanishing Vultures (2011)
Can the worlds fastest growing nation restore its prime scavenger before there are untold human consequences?
- Connexions Archive seeks a new home (November 18, 2009)
The Connexions Archive, a Toronto-based library dedicated to preserving the history of grassroots movements for social change, needs a new home.
- Coral Reefs (August 30, 2009)
All around the world, much of the world's marine biodiversity face threats from human and activities as well as natural. It is feared that very soon, many reefs could die off.
- Nature and Animal Conservation (July 26, 2009)
Conservation of ecosystems and the species within them would help to maintain the natural balances disrupted by recent human activity. Unfortunately, despite the effort put into conservation by organizations and activists, their work can easily be undermined by those who have other interests. This occurs, for example, from habitat destruction, illegal poaching, to influencing or manipulating laws designed to protect species.
- Side with the Living (2009)
A note to those who would demonize nature.
- Nature and the Communist Manifesto (1998)
What is needed is a broadening of the original socialist vision rather than a rejection of that vision or its amalgamation with something else, like liberal or neo-liberal) environmentalism.
Selected Websites and Organizations
- This is a small sampling of organizations and websites concerned with education and children in the Connexions Directory. For more organizations and websites, check the Connexions Directory Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Metro Toronto Zoo
- Rouge Duffins Greenspace Coalition
Images of life on earth. Creating a lasting audio-visual record of life on earth.
- Bat Conservation International
Site devoted to bats.
- Birding Canada Site
A clearinghouse for information about birding across the country.
- Birding in Canada
Information about Canadian birding.
- Bring Back the Don
- Bruce Trail Association
Bruce Trail Association dedicated to securing, maintaining, and promoting the Trail, the Niagara Escarpment, and its classification as a World Biosphere Reserve.
- Canada Weather Office
- Canadian Botanical Conservation Network
- Connexions Library: Environment Focus
Selected articles, books, websites and other resources on environment, ecology, climate change, pollution, and land use.
- Encyclopedia of Life
A project to organize and make available via the Internet virtually all information about life present on Earth.
- Federation of Ontario Naturalists
An independent, not-for-profit nature and conservation organization, founded in 1931 as a provincial voice for the conservation of forests, wetlands, waterways, grassland and wildlife.
- Friends of the Rouge Watershed
- Kingston Field Naturalists
- North American Butterfly Association
Many articles on butterflies including a list of recent butterfly sightings. No Canadian listings however.
- Oak Ridges Trail Association
Engages in and promotes conservation, restoration and appreciation of the natural environment surrounding the trail system and encourages ecologically responsible attitudes towards the Moraine.
- Ontario Environmental Network
- Ontario Field Ornithologists
- Toronto Bruce Trail Club
- Toronto Entomologists' Association
An organization to promote interest in insects, to encourage co-operation among amateur and professional entomologists.
- Toronto Environmental Alliance
- Toronto Field Naturalists
- Toronto Water Watch
- Welcome to Ontario Parks
Other Links & Resources
- Animals Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to animals in the Sources directory for the media.
- Bird Cinema
A video website for bird enthusiasts to watch and share original bird videos worldwide.
- Bird Cinema
- Black Creek Project
- Canada's Aquatic Environments
Information on habitiats, plants, and animals.
- Canadian Biodiversity Institute
- Canadian Canoe Routes
- Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority
- The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC)
The authority for assessing the conservation status of species that may be at risk of extinction in Canada.
- Credit Valley Conservation Authority
- Don Valley Corridor Transportation Master Plan
- Environment Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to environment in the Sources directory for the media.
- FLAP Fatal Light Awareness Project
Working to safeguard migratory birds in the urban environment through education, research, rescue and rehabilitation.
The word Fluvarium literally means "windows on a stream". In this case, the stream is Nagles's Hill Brook, a tributary of Rennies River, which has been diverted to flow past nine underwater windows.
- Friends of Killarney Park
Dedicated to natural heritage, education, preservation, and protection of Killarney Provincial Park.
- Friends of Point Pelee
- Friends of the Don East
- Garry Oak Meadow Preservation Society
Dedicated to the preservation, protection and restoration of Garry oak stands and their natural habitats.
- Greater Toronto Raptor Watch
- High Park Citizen's Advisory Committee
- Huron County
Official website of the County of Huron, Ontario.
- Kawartha Turtle Trauma Centre
Helping turtles in trouble.
- Lady beetle survey (Canadian Nature Federation)
- Lake Simcoe Region Conservation Authority
- Mycological Society of Toronto
Veteran mycologists, both amateur and professional share their knowledge on when and where to find the best mushroons, how to avoid being poisoned and what books are best for beginners to use.
- Nature Canada
A member-based, non-profit conservation organization. Focuses on conservation initiatives to protect birds, endangered species, and wildlands and oceans.
- Nature Conservancy of Canada
- Nature Saskatchewan
Non-profit conservation striving to help protect Saskatchewan's native species and natural ecosystems.
- Nature Topic Index in Sources Directory of Experts
A subject guide to experts and spokespersons on topics related to nature in the Sources directory for the media.
A non-profit conservation organization that provides the scientific information and tools needed to help guide effective conservation action. NatureServe and its network of natural heritage programs are the leading source for information about rare and endangered species and threatened ecosystems.NatureServe represents an international network of biological inventories#known as natural heritage programs or conservation data centers#operating in all 50 U.S. states, Canada, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Provides samples of various natural sounds, promotes nature recording and archiving, and provides a library of sounds that people can refer to when they hear something new.
- North Toronto Green Community
Includes information about Toronto's lost rivers. A wonderful description of all the lost brooks, streams and creeks of Toronto's watershed, complete with maps and detailed directions. Toronto Field Naturalists is a partner of Lost River Walks.
- Nova Scotia Herptofaunal Atlas
Documenting the distribution and abundance of Nova Scotia's amphibian and reptile species.
- Oak Ridges Moraine Land Trust
- Oakvillegreen Conservation Association
- Ontario Breeding Bird Atlas
- Ontario's Natural Retreat - Bruce County
- Orion Magazine
Articles about nature and environment.
- Plantwatch Flowering
Flowering dates of plants across Canada. Participants observe flowering times in their area and submit their findings via an on-line form or by mail.
- Taddle Creek Watershed Initiative
A grassroots alliance working to give new life to Taddle Creek, hidden at the heart of Toronto. Their vision is to 'bring back' parts of the creek by; cleaning the water and revegetating/naturalizing this severely degraded and buried watershed. We also wish to recognize and respect a buried human heritage.
- Toronto and Region Conservation Authority
- Toronto Bay Initiative
A Toronto organization to revitalize the Toronto harbour.
- Toronto Bird Observatory
- Toronto Revitalization Corp.
- Waterfront Regeneration Trust
Books, Films and Periodicals
- This is a small sampling of books related to education and children in the
Connexions Online Library. For more books and other resources, check the Connexions Library
Subject Index, especially under topics such as
- Five Billion Years of Global Change
A History of the Land
Author: Wood, Dennis
From the Big Bang theory to the Web, Five Billion Years of Global Change takes readers through the formation of the world, its oceans and continents, the evolution of the human species, development of agriculture and the growth of international trade. The book will be enjoyed by people interested in the history of the planet and concern for its future.
- The Greatest Show on Earth
The Evidence for Evolution
Author: Dawkins, Richard
Evolution is accepted as scientific fact by all reputable scientists and indeed theologians, yet millions of people continue to question its veracity. Dawkins explains the evidence for evolution while exposing the absurdity of creationism.
- The Nature of North America
A Handbook to The Continent. Rocks, Plants and Animals
Author: Rockwell, David
A guide to North American natural history. Fully illustrated with line drawings, maps and tables.
Learning from our History
Resources for Activists
The Connexions Calendar - An event calendar for activists.
Media Names & Numbers - A comprehensive directory of Canada's print and broadcast media. (CX5857).
Sources - A directory that enables journalists to find spokespersons of organizations. Organizations that list themselves in Sources signficantly increase their odds of getting called by reporters when they are doing a story of their issues..
Donate or Volunteer
Selected Resources by