Year Published: 1983
Periodical profile published 1983
Resource Type: Serial Publication (Periodical)
Cx Number: CX2714
Abstract: CCOMMUNIQU'ELLES is a bi-montly magazine created and managed by women in Quebec. The January, 1983 edition reports on two recent conferences.
The conference on Women and Work was held in October, 1982 at the University of Quebec in Montreal. A number of workshops focussed on:
- unemployment and the right to work;
- discrimination and equality of opporunity;
- access to unionization;
- technological changes;
- women and job security;
- the right to maternity leave and daycare;
- domestic work and homeworkers;
- education and socialization.
Since the converence was created to put researchers more closely in touch with women's issues, recommendations generated by the workshops included ways in which research needs to be structured and carried out if it is to be more useful and accessible to women.
Another report describes the Congress of the Family held in October, 1982 at Concordia University, Statistics noted there pointed out that:
- one in four families are now disrupted by divorce;
- women usually head single parent families;
- one quarter of all school children do not live with both biological parents.
- the number of working mothers with school age children has doubled with pre-school children it has tripled.
The Congress suggests that men and women cannot be empowered to parent without the support of other crucial structures such as employment, education, health care and housing.