A Doctor's Quest
The Struggle for Mother-and-Child Health Around the Globe
Publisher: Dundurn, Canada
Year Published: 2012
Pages: 268pp Price: $26.99 ISBN: 978-1459706439
Resource Type: Book
Cx Number: CX20627
Recounting medical missions in half of the thirty countries in which she has worked for the past twenty-five years in Africa, Asia, and the South Pacific -- from Darfur in Sudan to Papua New Guinea and Bhutan -- Dr. Gretchen Roedde shares the grim reality of world politics, bureaucratic red tape, and corruption on the front lines as a doctor in mother-and-child health and HIV/AIDS.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Dr. John Evans
Beginnings (Haileybury, Ontario, Canada)
1. I Am Poor (Uganda, Sudan)
2. I Do Not Have the Freedom That You Have as a Woman (Bangladesh, Nepal, Ghana)
3. One Day My Child Was Playing, the Next Day He Had Died
(Bangladesh, Ghana, Ethiopia)
4. I Have No Education (China, Botwsana, Uganda)
5. Why Are Women Dying Giving Life?
(Indonesia, Zimbabwe, Bhutan, Bangladesh, Zambia, Tanzania, Papua New Guinea)
6. I Am Tired of Seeing HIV as the Price of Wealth (Tanzania, Papua New Guinea
7. Where Are Our Leaders? Why Have They Forgotten Us?
(Malawi, Papua New Guinea, Ghana, Global)
8. We Are Still Waiting (Bangladesh)
Endings (Papua New Guinea)
Appendix 1: A White Mud Letter to a Dear Friend (Papua New Guinea)
Appendix 2: Timeline of Missions
Appendix 3: Coda - Where Are We Now?